The Fuzzy Duckling
Learning to Draw a Basic Whimsical Cat
Learning to draw can be SO much fun! Here are some tips to help you on your way!
1. Take your time! Don't try to hurry to get things done. The real enjoyment is in the time you actually take to create your work of art.
2. Have your tools all ready to go. Gather your pencil (sharpened), paper, and erasure before you start.
3. Make sure you work in a space with good lighting. How can you draw a great picture if you can't see it?
4. When you first start, sketch your lines lightly because you will need to erase some of your first lines.
5. After you have completed your drawing, erase any unwanted lines. Grab a Sharpie and trace over your completed drawing. Add designs and shapes of your choice. Color in.
6. You can download a printed copy of these Instructions here!
Draw a large candy corn shape in the center of your page.
Draw two fat egg shapes for feet.
Draw two half eggs for the hind feet.
Draw a big curvy shape from the top of one foot to the other. This makes his legs.
Draw two leaf shapes on top for his ears.
Draw two circles for eyes.
Draw a small triangle like a piece of pie right under the eyes for his nose.
Draw two curvy lines for a mouth.
Add a tail on one side.
Draw two little curves at the top of the eyes for eyelids.
Draw an almond shape in each eye for the pupils.
Draw a little rectangle in each eye for a catchlight.
Color the pupils black but leave the catchlight white.
Draw a slightly curved line through the center of each ear.
Erase the small line on the inner bottom of each ear.
Draw a small curve on each side of his nose for nostrils.
Draw three straight lines on each side of his mouth for whiskers.
If you wish, draw some lines for eyebrows.
Erase the center line in his foot.
Draw a puffy almond shape in the center of each front foot.
Draw a curvy line in the center of each back foot.
Add some claws to his feet.
Add some simple designs and color.
Or, add more elaborate designs for a more unique cat and color.
Copyright © 2017 by Jan Shotts